In time of uncertainty, the only thing you can control is how you choose to make the best of each day. Focus on optimizing your health in order to fortify your immune system while keeping your brain and body active with Dr. Carrie Dennie’s tips:
- Eat a whole foods diet including colorful fruits and vegetables. Quality protein like lean meats and legumes, whole grains, healthy fats, nuts and seeds.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water all day.
- Avoid excess sugar and processed foods, they can impair immune system function.
- Get adequate sleep, most people need around 8 hours of sleep per night-do your best.
- Get moving. Exercise supports immune function and keeps the brain alert.
- Go outside. Social distancing does not mean you have to remain locked in your home. Take a walk outside, away from other people. Soak up some sunshine. Immerse yourself in nature which boosts immune function, reduces anxiety and helps relax your mind and body.
- Manage your stress. Stress suppresses your immune system. Find ways to have fun.
- Take a social media break. You may find that you’re less anxious and in a better mood.
- Make time for self-care. Take a bath, declutter, organize and purge your space. Take a nap, try a new hobby, listen to your favorite music and dance.
Whatever it is you are feeling, you are not alone. Take time every single day to find moments of joy and peace. Our office is ready and available for telehealth appointments with both new and current patients. Visit our website under our “COVID-19 Update” tab to learn more and see how you can remain safe and healthy with our staff.