In general, Naturopathic doctors seek to provide individualized, whole person care utilizing the bodies natural functions. With the goals of removing obstacles to healing, supporting the body’s natural ability to heal itself, and optimizing health. These principles make Naturopathic care an effective complementary option to conventional cancer treatments such as prescription drugs, hormonal therapy, chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery.
There are two big misconceptions I want to address regarding Naturopathic Cancer Support. The first is that alternative treatments can be used in place of conventional cancer treatment. This is unfortunately not true; it is very important to maintain a relationship with your oncologist while seeking complementary cancer care. The second misconception is that there are no benefits of Naturopathic medicine in combination with conventional cancer treatments. This is false as there is substantiary, evidence-based research that supports and discusses the benefits. There are many hospitals and medical centers throughout the United States that have included Naturopathic medicine for oncology support due to its effectiveness. The most ideal scenario would involve all providers working collaboratively to improve their patient’s quality of life which is something we value greatly in our office.
- Patients can benefit from Naturopathic care if they have a family history of cancer
- To work to reduce individual risk of developing cancer as well as general health and wellness optimization.
- Patients can benefit from Naturopathic care at the time of diagnosis
- To educate, support mental health and develop a plan for integrative care
- Patients can benefit from Naturopathic care during active treatment
- To provide nutritional support, reduce side effects of conventional treatment, lifestyle support (such as stress management, sleep support, and stamina), and supporting the effectiveness of the conventional treatments
- Patients can benefit from Naturopathic care after treatment
- To detoxify, rebalance the body and optimize overall wellness. Naturopathic care can also help to prevention of recurrence with healthy lifestyle support.